Thursday, November 1, 2012

Finding the Time to Write Right

At this point, I am:
  • Still part of a Master of Science in Professional Writing and Technical Communication at the University of Houston-Downtown (UHD),
  • A student of a course on technical communicators' use of social media,
  • An employee of at a major player within the oil/gas industry,
  • The technical writer in charge of documenting a number products that non-destructively test ferrous pipe, and
  • A student that may be within a month of completing his research on his thesis.
I have not yet:
  • Finalized the last set of proposals to management regarding cross-cultural communications, localization, single-sourcing, usability testing, or plain language;
  • Completed the writing on my thesis;
  • Completed the course on technical communicators' use of social media;
  • Completed the never-ending train of assignments at work (and am not seeking an end to them); and
  • Investigated methods of fulfilling the responsibilities of a professor while working as a technical writer (however, I have read that professors at junior colleges usually work at one other job).
So why am I starting a blog?  Certainly, it is not for a lack of things to do (especially since I am also the father of a teenage son who usually needs as much help with his homework as I once needed).

One reason to start pops up out of the social media class I mentioned. Another reason to write this blog is to build up a reserve of examples I might use as I teach future classes. Maybe some of the blog material I put here might – with the input from all of you – be presentable to my compatriots at work.

The biggest reason that I write comes from my being a writer.