Sunday, January 11, 2015

Social Media and the Technical Writer's job search

Currently, I have a job as a technical writer; therefore, I do not expect to have to seek a job anytime soon. However, in preparation for the unknown, I have set up a profile on LinkedIn and have cultivated a set of 47 professional connections. Using LinkedIn, I have renewed professional connections that I started when I was more active in the Society for Technical Communication. Additionally, I used connections established through LinkedIn to gain the 150 survey participants for part of my thesis research. Therefore, I seem to be well on the way to proving Noz Urbina’s point that “social media is not just for socializing” (3).

References

Urbina, N. (2010). A super-role for technical communicators. ISTC Communicator,  Retrieved from http://www.farbey.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/ISTC_Supplement_on_Social_Media.pdf